What Is Peri-Implantitis, And How Can It Be Treated?
Peri-implantitis is one of the most common complications that can happen after you get dental implants. Peri-implantitis can occur at any time, but it’s the most common within the first 3-5 years of getting an implant. But, what is it, how can it be treated, and how can you avoid it? Get all the answers you need in this blog from Quintero Periodontics.
Simply put, peri-implantitis is a gum infection near a dental implant. It’s similar to gum disease. Over time, bacteria can build up around a dental implant, and if you do not maintain good oral hygiene, this can result in an infection.
If you get treatment and maintain good oral hygiene, peri-implantitis can be treated and reversed. If left untreated, however, it can get worse, causing extensive damage to the gums and bone and eventually cause your implant to fail..
Treatment Options For Peri-Implantitis
There are a few different treatments that may be recommended to treat peri-implantitis. Here are a few of the most common options that we may recommend at Quintero Periodontics.
- Cleaning and debridement – Similarly to a deep cleaning for gum disease, Dr. Quintero can use special tools to clean your implant site, remove infected tissue from the area, and sanitize the site to help keep the infection under control.
- Laser treatment – Using technological advances in dentistry, the laser can target the bacteria deep within the gums and around the implant detoxifying it. Using the laser is painless and effective.
- Antibiotics – In combination with other treatments, local or oral antibiotics may be used to help keep the infection under control and reduce the bacteria present near your dental implant.
- Gum and bone grafting – If you have a serious case of peri-implantitis, gum and bone grafting may be required to restore the affected gum and bone tissue and restore your dental implant.
- Implant removal – In very severe cases of peri-implantitis, it may be necessary to completely remove your dental implant. We will only recommend this treatment at Quintero Periodontics if there are no other options for saving your implant.
Avoiding Peri-Implantitis – Our Top 5 Tips
So, how can you avoid peri-implantitis if you have a dental implant, or if you’re planning on getting a dental implant in Dacula, GA? Here are a few top tips that you can follow to keep your implants in great shape.
- Work with an experienced implant dentist – Expert implant dentists like Dr. David Quintero know how to place implants precisely, minimize the risk of post-treatment infections, and ensure the best outcome from your treatment. This helps reduce your risk of peri-implantitis, as well as other complications.
- Follow your recovery instructions – Peri-implantitis can happen at any time, but it’s particularly common during the initial healing and recovery process after you get a dental implant. Make sure to follow your periodontists instructions as you heal and recover after treatment.
- Quit smoking – In general, smokers are more than twice as likely to have their implants fail, compared to non-smokers. Smoking is especially problematic during the initial healing phase after you get an implant, but can contribute to implant failure and peri-implantitis even after you complete your implant treatment.
- Maintain good oral hygiene – You should make sure that you brush twice a day, floss once per day, and maintain good oral hygiene. Cleaning the area around your dental implant thoroughly will help prevent peri-implantitis.
- See your dentist for routine cleanings – During your three or six-month cleanings, your dentist will clean around your dental implant and remove bacteria and plaque buildup that can cause peri-implantitis. So make sure you’re still visiting your dentist twice per year for the preventive care you need.
Interested In Dental Implants In Dacula? Come To Quintero Periodontics!
At Quintero Periodontics, dental implants are one of our specialties. Dr. Quintero is a highly-skilled and experienced implant dentist in Dacula, and we use digital treatment planning technology to provide the best results.
So don’t wait. If you’d like to permanently restore your teeth in Dacula, Quintero Periodontics is here to help. Contact us online or give us a call at (770) 614-8823 to schedule a consultation with Dr. Quintero and explore your options for restorative dentistry, including dental implants.